Please note tiles are sold in minimum quantities. Larger tiles greater than 18” x 18” can be purchases in lots of one. All others will need to be purchased by the box. Box quantities will be listed in the respective product description page.
Measuring the amount of tile needed is simple once you know the area that needs to be tiled. Listed below are simple directions that will help determine the amount of tile you will need to complete your project.
1. Measure the length of the room.
2. Measure the width of the room.
3. Multiplying the length times the width will give you the overall square feet needed to cover the floor area. If the room has an irregular shape divide the room into smaller square or rectangle sections then measure the length times the width. Totaling all sections will provide the total job square feet.
4. If there are sections of the room that are not going to be tiled use the same method for calculating the square feet then deduct this number from the total.
5. Depending on the lay-out you choose, the waste factor will vary. If you plan on tiling in a tradition grid pattern, an additional 10% for waste should be factored into the total. For diagonal and other intricate patterns, it is recommended to increase the waste factor to 15%.
Measuring for walls is slightly different. It is recommended to measure each wall separately as there are usually more areas that need to be worked around (i.e windows, doors, medicine cabinets etc...)
1. Measure the height of the wall.
2. Measure the length of the wall.
3. Multiplying the height times the length will give you the overall square feet needed to cover the wall area.
4. If there are sections of the wall that are not going to be tiled, use the same method for calculating the square feet then deduct this number from the total.
5. Complete steps 1-4 for all other walls that will be tiled.
6. For chair rails, pencils and borders, measure the length of all walls and add the total.
7. In general tiling walls consumes more waste than tiling floors. A waste factor of 15-20% should be added to the grand total for all wall tiles.
Reminder! It is also recommended to add an additional 2-3% stock know as attic stock in case additional tiles will be needed at a later date. Please note that natural stone tiles are sold in unique lot numbers, color matching cannot be guaranteed at a later date.
Full Box Policy! Natural stone tiles are sold by the box with exception to some of the larger format tiles i.e. 18”x18” and 24”x24” which are sold by the piece. Listed in the respective product detail pages are the total square feet per box and information about which tiles are sold per piece. Once you know the square feet needed, you will need to round up to the nearest full box.
Reminder! Do not forget to add additional material for attic stock and waste prior to rounding up.
If your project requires specific rations, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-855-AT-CAAYU.