Caring for your Soapstone countertop; following these simple kitchen remodeling guidelines your Soapstone countertop will provide years of service while maintaining its natural beauty.
Soapstone countertops are most vulnerable during the manufacturing and installation stages where deep scratches can permanently damage the surface. Soapstone should only be installed by properly trained kitchen remodeling artisans familiar with its unique composition. Below is a list of things to avoid, helping prolong the natural beauty of your Soapstone countertop:
- Do not sit, stand or kneel on a Soapstone countertop
- Do not cut directly on the surface. Use cutting boards whenever possible
- Do not drop heavy items onto the surface
- Clean up spills as soon as they occur
- Do not use abrasive cleaners, cleaners formulated for tile and grout or drain cleaners
- Do not allow water to pool around the sink and faucet areas for prolong periods of time
Daily Cleaning: Soapstone countertops should be wiped clean after each use. It is recommended to use cleaners specifically formulated for natural stone. Use of glass and window cleaners is an acceptable method for daily cleaning.
Note: it is recommended to increase the oil regiment when using generic multi-purpose cleaners on a regular basis.
Avoiding Hard Water Stains: To avoid unsightly hard water marks, wipe down the countertop after each use paying extra attention around the sink and faucet. Keeping these areas dry will prevent the lime build up.
Removing Hard Water Stains: Using a plastic putty knife at a 450 angle, gently remove all topical residue and wipe area clean with a dedicated stone cleaner. Pre soaking the area with a solution of warm water will help remove the any residue. Helpful hint; Following the proper oil regiment will also help avoid stubborn mineral deposits.
Disinfecting your Countertop: Soapstone countertops are not known to harbor bacteria. Following the recommended guidelines for daily cleaning will effectively remove the source which supports the grown of bacteria. For more thorough cleaning a solution 80% water and bleach can be used to help disinfect your countertops. Naturally bleach will remove some of the oil for the countertop; it is recommended to reapply mineral oil after cleaning with this solution.
Stubborn Residue: Pre soak the affected area with a dedicated stone cleaner for approximately 5 minutes. Using a plastic putty knife or spatula at a 450 angle, gently remove all topical residues and wipe clean with a dedicated stone cleaner.
Absorption Stains: water absorption marks will dry out naturally over time. Using a hair dryer 6-8" above the surface will help expedite the drying. If your countertops darken after exposure to water, a reapplication of mineral oil may be necessary.
Dressing your Soapstone Countertop: Depending on your preference Soapstone countertops may be left natural or dressed with a mineral oil. If you decide to leave the countertop natural you should expect to see minor surface scratches within the first few weeks of use. Soapstone in its natural state will darker each time it is exposed to foods and beverages. The intent of dressing the stone with mineral oil is to pre-saturate the stone closing its pores while blending the fine scratches that will occur during normal use.
Step by step instructions:
These instructions are intended as a guide. Soapstone is a natural product therefore its density and porosity can change from slab to slab. Dressing Soapstone will permanently darken the stone. Always test in an inconspicuous area to determine its effect.
- Clean the entire countertop with a dedicated Stone Cleaner specially formulated for natural stone.
- Working smaller manageable areas at a time, immediately distribute the oil evenly to the desired areas.
- Allow the oil to penetrate for 15 minutes.
- Using a microfiber or terry cloth towel redistribute the oil re-covering all areas.
- Allow the oil to penetrate for an additional 5 minutes. Adding new oil to achieve complete wetness.
- It is important to keep the surface completely wet throughout the entire dressing process.
- Apply a small amount of oil to the finished area and immediately remove using a new dry cloth.
- After 10 minutes buff the countertop with a clean microfiber or terry cloth towel to remove any residue.
- Keep countertop dry for a minimum of 2 hours.
In addition to soapstone, we have a large number of marble and granite countertops selections. We are highly passionate about delivering a quality end product to our customers. Please direct your attention to our contact information if you have any questions regarding our marble and granite tile work.